Current Motive Power on Northern Division:
- The first diesel units were purchased in early 1939 - two new Alco HH-660s. Following WWII, the railroad rapidly acquired additional diesel locomotives both ALCO and EMD. Today, differing manufactures' equipment is generally isolated to specific divisions to minimized logistics costs of maintenance and supply. The ALCO units are centralized in the Northern and Mid-Colorado Divisions to maximize the cost of commonality. The current motive power for the railroad's Northern Division consists of-
- ALCO FA/FBs, most of which have been retired, but a few FA-1s are still providing long-haul freight and helper service as required.
- ALCO PA/B-1s and a single FPA-1 provide passenger service along with several Budd RDCs.
- Road switchers, either ALCO RSC-2s or RSD-5s units, service high density areas.
- The two ALCO RSC-2s are used for branchline duties due to the distribution of weight.
- ALCO RS-1s and one FM H15-44 support the Northern Division local switching.
- ALCO RSD-12s and RSD-15s are assigned to through freight operations as they enter service
- Switchers are assigned to the division terminals, ALCO S-1/2s and some GE 44 & 70 Tonners
- Dieselization of the Railroad was completed by 1955.